For the sponge:
250g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
75ml vegetable oil
250ml soya milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla essence
Fresh strawberries (optional)
Vegan whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C and line two sandwich tins with baking paper.
2. Pour the soya milk into a small bowl, add the vinegar and stir: this will make the milk curdle. Set aside.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar.
4. Pour the milk/vinegar mixture, oil and vanilla essence into the flour and mix well, but don’t over-mix!
5. Divide the cake batter equally between the two tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until they’re done (you’ll know they’re done when they’re slightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean). Leave to cool.
6. To decorate, decide which cake is going to be the top of your sandwich and put the other cake on your serving plate. Spread the top generously with strawberry jam. If you’re using the vegan whipped cream dollop this on top of the strawberry jam, allowing room for it to spread, before you put the other cake on top to form a sandwich. If you’re not using the cream, you can dust the top with a little icing sugar and you’re done. For a more elaborate finish use an icing bag to decorate the top of the cake with whipped cream and fresh strawberries and serve immediately. Variation: try sandwiching this together using non-dairy ice-cream instead of the whipped cream